Search our Archives for press releases from other collectibles:
- All Press Releases
- Art Press Releases
- Coin Press Releases
- Comics Press Releases
- Currency Press Releases
- Domain Names & Intellectual Property Press Releases
- Entertainment Press Releases
- Historical Press Releases
- Jewelry, Timepieces & Luxury Accessories
- Movie Poster Press Releases
- Real Estate Press Releases
- Sports Press Releases
- Wine Press Releases
Press Release - August 1, 2016
Birth of a Nation one sheet tops $1.7+ million Vintage Movie Poster offering at Heritage AuctionsPoster for D.W. Griffith's Civil War classic film brings $74,687 July 30-31 in Dallas
"Despite being one of the most influential motion pictures of all time, posters from The Birth of a Nation movie are almost never seen at auction," said Grey Smith, Director of Vintage Posters at Heritage. "I'm not surprised it did well, but I was pleased to see it surpass expectations three times over. The entire auction was a success from start to finish."
Posters from horror films proved popular as a rare one sheet for 1939's sequel Son of Frankenstein, starring A-listers Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, and Basil Rathbone, sold for $43,020 and a one sheet for Universal's 1939 classic Dracula's Daughter sold for $35,850. A one sheet for The Mummy's Hand brought $14,937.
Multiple bidders vied for rare paper from Hollywood classics, including one of just a handful of one sheets known to exist from the 1930 film Morocco, starting Gary Cooper and Marlene Dietrich. The bright stone lithographed copy — which marked Dietrich's America movie debut — sold for $40,630. A one sheet for The Bell Boy, the 1918 film starring cinematic comedy giants Fatty Arbuckle and Buster Keaton, sparked a bidding war among 10 people to blow past it's $3,000 pre-auction estimate to sell for $35,850.
Unusual discoveries sparked intense bidder interest as a scarce insert format poster for the iconic Casablanca sold for $33,460 and a set of three Italian premier display posters for 1966's The Good, the Bad and the Ugly — measuring an amazing 39-inches by 110-inches — sold for an astounding $31,070 against an $18,000 estimate. Famed poster artist Drew Struzan's original acrylic painting for the one sheet used for Cannonball Run II sold for $21,501.
Additional highlights include but are not limited to:
· A one sheet for The 39 Steps: Realized: $31,070.
· An advance one sheet for the 1948 Superman serial: Realized: $20,315.
· A Douglas Fairbanks stock poster three sheet: Realized: $16,730.
· The always popular one sheet for This Gun for Hire: Realized: $15,535.
Hi-Res images available:
Eric Bradley, Public Relations Associate
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
Every aspect is handled so professionally yet with the right mix of humor and fun.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)