Search our Archives for press releases from other collectibles:
- All Press Releases
- Art Press Releases
- Coin Press Releases
- Comics Press Releases
- Currency Press Releases
- Domain Names & Intellectual Property Press Releases
- Entertainment Press Releases
- Historical Press Releases
- Jewelry, Timepieces & Luxury Accessories
- Movie Poster Press Releases
- Real Estate Press Releases
- Sports Press Releases
- Wine Press Releases
Press Release - January 16, 2019
Certified Vintage Video Games Make Big Debut at Heritage AuctionsCompetitive bidding drives Legend of Zelda to $3,360
"A lot of collectors are just as passionate about their childhood games as their childhood cards or comics," Heritage Auctions Vice President Barry Sandoval said. "We thought these certified games would do well, and we weren't disappointed."
The games are graded, certified and housed in protective cases by Denver-based Wata Games, offering consistency and objectivity that can be achieved only through an independent, third-party grader.
More than 30 collectors pursued The Legend of Zelda (NES, Nintendo, 1987) Wata 9.4 B+ (Seal Rating) until it ultimately sold for $3,360 to claim top-lot honors. The Classic Series version marked the last release of the game on the Nintendo Entertainment System. The copy offered here includes the grey, three-screw version of the cartridge. Sealed versions of this NES title are exceptionally difficult to locate, especially in such a high grade.
Excitebike (NES, Nintendo, 1985) Wata 8.5 A (Seal Rating) also sparked a flurry of bids from nearly two dozen collectors before drawing $1,140. One of the launch titles for the Nintendo Entertainment System, this copy is a Revision-A game with a round Seal of Quality (SOQ), which indicates it is a later revision of the title. Excitebike was designed by Shigeru Miyamoto, who is known best for creating iconic Nintendo titles like Mario, Donkey Kong and Starfox.
A copy of the first game in the longstanding Dragon Quest series, Dragon Warrior (NES, Nintendo, 1989) Wata 8.5 A (Seal Rating) brought $660 from the most eager among 17 bidders. Originally released in Japan as Dragon Quest, it was renamed by Nintendo for release to Western markets. To promote the game, Nintendo of America offered the game for free to new and renewing subscribers to their Nintendo Power magazine. While not initially a huge success, the Nintendo Power giveaway ensured success for the franchise. This game inspired 10 direct sequels and multiple spinoffs.
Other top lots included, but were not limited to:
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES, Nintendo, 1989), Wata 8.5 CIB (Complete in Box): $312
• Super Mario Bros. (NES, Nintendo 1985), Wata 8.0 CIB (Complete in Box): $312
• Wario's Woods (NES, Nintendo, 1994), Wata 9.4 A+ (Seal Rating): $228
• Mega Man 5 (NES, Capcom, 1992), Wata 6.0 CIB (Complete in Box): $216
• Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES, Nintendo, 1990), Wata 6.5 CIB (Complete in Box): $210
• Double Dragon (SMS, Sega, 1988), Wata 9.6 CIB (Complete in Box): $204
"These were just the tip of the iceberg," Sandoval said. "We're going to auction more every week, and we have some real rarities on tap for our February signature auction."
Heritage Auctions is the largest fine art and collectibles auction house founded in the United States, and the world's largest collectibles auctioneer. Heritage maintains offices in New York, Dallas, Beverly Hills, San Francisco, Chicago, Palm Beach, London, Paris, Geneva, Amsterdam and Hong Kong.
The Internet's most popular auction-house website, HA.com, has over one million registered bidder-members and searchable free archives of four million past auction records with prices realized, descriptions and enlargeable photos. Reproduction rights routinely granted to media for photo credit. For breaking stories, follow us: HA.com/Facebook and HA.com/Twitter. Link to this release or view prior press releases.
Steve Lansdale, Public Relations Specialist
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
Heritage has been my number ONE choice for both buying and selling…View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)