Search our Archives for press releases from other collectibles:
- All Press Releases
- Art Press Releases
- Coin Press Releases
- Comics Press Releases
- Currency Press Releases
- Domain Names & Intellectual Property Press Releases
- Entertainment Press Releases
- Historical Press Releases
- Jewelry, Timepieces & Luxury Accessories
- Movie Poster Press Releases
- Real Estate Press Releases
- Sports Press Releases
- Wine Press Releases
Press Release - November 15, 2016
Fabergé, Toussaint, Whiting, and Important snuff boxes highlight Heritage Auctions’ $1 Million Fine Silver & Vertu salePrivate Texas Collection reveals $62,000 Christian Maas Swedish Gold and Enameled Box
The nearly 600-lot auction was comprised of brilliant silver objects ranging from centerpieces, to trophies to silver flatware. But it was an important collection of snuff boxes that took four of the 10 top lots. The highlight of the group was a beautiful blue sapphire Christian Maas Swedish 20K Gold and Enameled Box which sold for $62,500. A Swiss Enameled 18K Gold Snuff Box with a stunning harbor scene sold for $31,250.
Another gem in the sale was a skillfully crafted Fabergé Silver and Gem-Set Razorback Pig Bell Push, designed by silversmith Julius Rappoport from St. Petersburg, Russia, circa 1899-1908. The bashful bore bell sold for $25,000.
Work from the finest silversmiths saw intense bidder interest. A tribute to the signature detailed silver work by Tiffany & Co., a circa 1880 Silver and Mixed Metal Japanesque Tray of Swallows in Flight sold for $22,500. A circa 1907 Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co. Silver Figural Punch Bowl made in London, depicted masterfully worked intiquet dragons, which pushed the auction price to $18,750.
Additional highlights include:
· A François Joanin Swiss Gold and Enamel Snuff Box made in Geneva, Switzerland around 1815: Realized: $18,750.
· A Les Freres Toussaint German Enameled 18K Gold Snuff Box, Hanau, Germany, circa 1780: Realized: $18,750.
· Twelve George Wickes George II Silver Chargers from the Table Service of Thomas Villiers, 1st Earl of Clarendon and 1st Baron Hyde, London, England, circa 1737: Realized: $13,750.
· An Erik Magnussen Modern American Silver Center Bowl and Weighted Silver Candlesticks for Gorham, Providence, Rhode Island, designed 1928: Realized: $13,750.
· A Four-Piece Matthew Boulton English Regency Silver Mirrored Plateau, Birmingham, England, circa 1810: Realized: $12,500.
· A Monumental Mauser Mfg. Co. Art Nouveau Silver and Bronze Loving Cup, made in New York between 1887 and 1903: Realized: $12,500.
· An important Whiting Mfg. Co Acid-Etched Silver Trophy Bowl for the National Horse Show Association of America, New York, New York, circa 1883: Realized: $12,500.
· A Swedish, Vari-Color 18K Gold Snuff Box attributed to Frans Wilhelmsson, of Stockholm, Sweden, circa 1786: Realized: $12,500.
· A circa 1778, Swedish 18K Gold Snuff Box, by Peter Johan of Stockholm, Sweden: Realized: $12,500.
· A contemporary Great Horned Silver Teapot with Macassar Ebony Tray by husband and wire silversmiths Michael and Maureen Banner of Monterey, Massachusetts, circa 1999: Realized: $12,500.
Heritage Auctions is the largest auction house founded in the United States and the world's third largest, with annual sales of more than $800 million, and over one million online bidder members. For more information about Heritage Auctions, and to join and receive access to a complete record of prices realized, with full-color, enlargeable photos of each lot, please visit HA.com.
Hi-Res images available:
Eric Bradley, Public Relations Director
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
Wanted to tell you how impressed I was with how the FUN books looked for my Saints. While I no longer have the coins, nor am I listed on the PCGS registry, at least I have the book to remind me of my collection.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)