Search our Archives for press releases from other collectibles:
- All Press Releases
- Art Press Releases
- Coin Press Releases
- Comics Press Releases
- Currency Press Releases
- Domain Names & Intellectual Property Press Releases
- Entertainment Press Releases
- Historical Press Releases
- Jewelry, Timepieces & Luxury Accessories
- Movie Poster Press Releases
- Real Estate Press Releases
- Sports Press Releases
- Wine Press Releases
Press Release - April 11, 2018
French Casablanca Double Grande Boosts Heritage Auctions’ Movie Posters Auction To Nearly $2 MillionTop lot one of just two known to exist
A film that was made with the hope of creating a successful war drama only to evolve into a beloved classic is represented beautifully in this Casablanca (Warner Brothers, 1947) First Post-War French Release Double Grande, which drew multiple bids before ultimately selling for $143,400. This poster is extraordinarily rare, one of just two known to exist anywhere, and features artwork believed to have been done by Hervé Morvan, the popular 20th-century poster artist.
"This auction contained a variety of desirable posters for collectors of all tastes," Heritage Auctions Vintage Posters Director Grey Smith said. "The Casablanca poster is a beautiful poster that drew the attention of our most serious collectors."
One of the most actively pursued lots in the auction was Superman (Columbia, 1948) Six Sheet, which realized $35,850. The first comic book superhero made it to the big screen in a live-action format 10 years after he first was introduced in Action Comics #1. This poster also is exceptionally rare — one of just two of this large format known to exist.
The poster from The Lady Eve (Paramount, 1941) One Sheet is exceedingly rare, which helped spark demand from multiple bidders before it eventually brought $33,460. This classic Preston Sturges comedy is considered one of his best.
Believed to be the only known copy in existence, Morocco (Paramount, 1931) French Horizontal Double Grande validated its rarity when it passed its high pre-auction estimate on its way to a final sale price of $31,070. This extraordinary French stone lithograph from Josef von Sternberg's classic drama bears a magnificent image for a magnificent film. Roger Soubie's depiction of the sultry Marlene Dietrich is considered one of the best illustrations ever painted of the star.
Offered for the first time through Heritage Auctions, Adventures of Captain Marvel (Republic, 1941). One Sheet Chapter 1 — "Curse of the Scorpion" is another that sparked significant competition among bidders before ultimately yielding $31,070. This poster is one of only a small handful still known to exist from what many consider to be one of the greatest serials produced.
Other top lots included, but were not limited to:
· Casablanca (Warner Brothers, R-1949) Insert: $28,680
· King Kong (RKO, 1933). Swedish Oversized Poster: $26,290
· Star Wars by Michelangelo Papuzza (20th Century Fox, 1977). Original Mixed Media Concept Artwork: $26,290
· Sunnyside (First National, 1919) Six Sheet: $24,258.50
· Creature from the Black Lagoon (Universal International, 1954) One Sheet: $23,900
· Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Warner Brothers, 2004) Lenticular One Sheet: $17,925
Heritage Auctions is the largest fine art and collectibles auction house founded in the United States, and the world's largest collectibles auctioneer. Heritage maintains offices in New York, Dallas, Beverly Hills, San Francisco, Chicago, Palm Beach, London, Paris, Geneva, Amsterdam and Hong Kong.
The Internet's most popular auction-house website, HA.com, has over one million registered bidder-members, and searchable free archives of four million past auction records with prices realized, descriptions and enlargeable photos. Reproduction rights routinely granted to media for photo credit.
Steve Lansdale, Public Relations Specialist
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
You treated me with honesty and respect, and my Heritage experience is very positive.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)