Search our Archives for press releases from other collectibles:
- All Press Releases
- Art Press Releases
- Coin Press Releases
- Comics Press Releases
- Currency Press Releases
- Domain Names & Intellectual Property Press Releases
- Entertainment Press Releases
- Historical Press Releases
- Jewelry, Timepieces & Luxury Accessories
- Movie Poster Press Releases
- Real Estate Press Releases
- Sports Press Releases
- Wine Press Releases
Press Release - November 15, 2005
Heritage Vintage Movie Poster Auction Posts Record Results!
DALLAS, TEXAS: Heritage Movie Poster Auctions (HMPA) held its latest Signature Auction on Friday and Saturday, November 11 & 12, 2005, in Dallas, Texas. 1,039 total bidders competed for 1,006 lots, 292 of them successfully, for total prices realized of $1,569,057. 18 lots were purchased after the auction by 13 bidders for a total of $20,901.
"To say that I'm thrilled with these results would be a serious understatement," said Grey Smith, Director of HMPA. "Not only is this the best movie poster auction Heritage has ever held, it's the best poster auction anyone has ever held. $1.56 million sets a new high bar for vintage movie poster auctions, and I'm looking forward to submitting these results to Guinness for recognition."
The previous record high for a vintage movie poster auction was $1.46 million, set in 1996 by Butterfield & Butterfield, when they auctioned the Gunnard Nelson Collection.
"Prices realized were strong across all categories," said Smith, "with near-feverish interest in many items in the amazing collection of Humphrey Bogart material we offered. I'm also pleased to note that interest in Western posters is on the increase, and silent film material continues to gain momentum."
"Of course," Smith said, "the star of the show was the rare Style D Wings one-sheet. We knew that this would be an irresistible piece to many collectors when we listed it with a pre-auction estimate of $25,000-$35,000. As the bidding went on, though, it became apparent that our estimate was far too low. We were thrilled when the final hammer fell at an astonishing $86,250!"
"Another piece that far exceeded expectations," Smith continued, "was the Douglas Fairbanks Thief of Baghdad one-sheet, which brought $54,625 over our initial estimate of $20,000-$30,000."
"I'm happy to report that vintage movie poster collecting is alive, well and thriving," Smith said, "as this auction more than proves, and Heritage is proud to be in the forefront of this exciting and vibrant hobby!"
Highlights of the sale included:
- The Wayward Canary (United Artists, 1932). One Sheet (27" X 41"). REALIZED: $32,200.
- Casablanca (Warner Brothers, 1942). One Sheet (27" X 41"). REALIZED: $20,700.
- To Have and To Have Not (Warner Brothers, 1945 Post-War Release). Italian (55" X 78"). REALIZED: $19,550.
- Song of Songs (Paramount, 1933). One Sheet (27" X 41"). REALIZED: $18,400.
- Superman (Columbia, 1948). Three Sheet (41" X 81"). REALIZED: $18,400.
- Sabrina (Paramount, 1954). Italian (55" X 78"). REALIZED: $18,400.
- The Wizard of Oz (MGM, 1939). Italian (39" X 55"). REALIZED: $17,250.
- The Mark of Zorro (United Artists, 1920). One Sheet (27" X 41"). REALIZED: $17,250.
- The Black Pirate (United Artists, 1926). One Sheet (27" X 40.25") Style B. REALIZED: $17,250.
- High Sierra (Warner Brothers, 1941). Three Sheet (41" X 81"). REALIZED: $16,100.
- Houdini "Buried Alive" (Otis Litho, 1926). Eight Sheet (106" X 81"). REALIZED: $14,950.
- The Gaucho (United Artists, 1927). One Sheet (27" X 41"). REALIZED: $13,800.
- Angels With Dirty Faces (Warner Brothers, 1938). Insert (14" X 36"). REALIZED: $12,650.
- The Maltese Falcon (Warner Brothers, 1946 Post-War Release). French (47" X 63"). REALIZED: $12,650.
- Out of the Past (RKO, 1947). One Sheet (27" X 41"). REALIZED: $11,500.
- Pinocchio (RKO, 1940). One Sheet (27" X 41") Style B. REALIZED: $11,500.
- The Day the Earth Stood Still (20th Century Fox, 1951). One Sheet (27" X 41"). REALIZED: $10,925.
For more information about Heritage's auctions, and a complete record of prices realized, along with full-color, enlargeable photos of each lot, please visit HeritageGalleries.com.
Prospective consignors and sellers of vintage movie posters and related material should contact Grey Smith at 1-800-872-6467, ext. 367, or 214-252-4367, or email GreySm@HeritageGalleries.com.
To reserve your copy of any Heritage auction catalog, please contact Nicole Jewell at 1-800-872-6467, ext. 272, or visit HeritageGalleries.com to order by email.
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
She had just received her check, and was calling to tell me how very pleased she is with every aspect of her dealings with Heritage – your expertise and assistance, the accuracy of the estimate range, the paperwork explaining all the details, the check arView More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)