Search our Archives for press releases from other collectibles:
- All Press Releases
- Art Press Releases
- Coin Press Releases
- Comics Press Releases
- Currency Press Releases
- Domain Names & Intellectual Property Press Releases
- Entertainment Press Releases
- Historical Press Releases
- Jewelry, Timepieces & Luxury Accessories
- Movie Poster Press Releases
- Real Estate Press Releases
- Sports Press Releases
- Wine Press Releases
Press Release - April 23, 2018
Mint Mickey Mantle 1952 Topps Rookie Sets World Record in $9.83 Million Sports Card Auction at HeritageHigh-grade Mantle sold for $2.88 million, the most ever paid for a post-World War II trading card
"We knew the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle card would take top-lot honors but another early Mantle, a 1951 Bowman, grabbed attention with a record price of its own for the issue," said Chris Ivy, Director of Sports Auctions at Heritage. "The press for this auction was significant and we could certainly see the effects of some new players in the market."
The $2.88 million Mantle is from the private collection of former NFL lineman and Super Bowl Champion Evan Mathis. It is one of just six examples graded Mint 9 by PSA and its winning bid surpassed the card's previous auction record by a staggering $2.6 million, when the last Mint 9 Mantle crossed the auction block more than a decade ago.
Mantle's magic extended beyond the record-setting Mint 9. Showing no signs of handling or storage wear, the 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle #253, PSA Mint 9, sold for $750,000 and a 1952 Topps, PSA NM 7, ended at $120,000.
Universally considered Babe Ruth's rookie card, an extraordinarily rare 1916 M101-5 Sporting News (Blank Back) Babe Ruth #151, PSA NM 7, closed at $384,000. One of the hobby's most sought-after cards, its superb condition places it among just three specimens in this grade.
The finest 1948 Leaf Warren Spahn #32 known to exist, graded a Gem Mint 10 by PSA, ended at $192,000. The "pack fresh" specimen is a fitting tribute to Spahn's 363 victories, which has never been bested in the Live Ball era. Speaking of fresh packs, a factory-sealed 1975 Topps Baseball Unopened Cello Case sold for $102,000.
A 1948 Leaf Satchel Paige #8, PSA NM 7 — in a remarkable state of preservation for the card's short print — realized $84,000.
Additional highlights include:
· $78,000: 1925 Exhibits Lou Gehrig, SGC 50 VG/EX 4
· $72,120: 1916 M101-5 Sporting News (Blank Back) Joe Jackson #86, PSA NM-MT 8
· $72,000: 1954 Topps Hank Aaron #128, PSA NM-MT+ 8.5
· $40,800: 1917-20 M101-6 Felix Mendelsohn Babe Ruth, SGC 40 VG 3, the first card issued of Ruth with the New York Yankees
· $38,400: 1888 N338-2 S.F. Hess Mickey Welch, SGC 40 VG 3, from a newly-discovered collection
· $36,000: 1959 Bazooka Mickey Mantle, SGC 88 NM/MT 8
Heritage Auctions' next offering is its spring Sports Memorabilia Catalog Auction #50002, which is now open for bidding and will close in Extended Bidding format at 10 p.m. CST May 17-18.
Heritage Auctions is the largest fine art and collectibles auction house founded in the United States, and the world's largest collectibles auctioneer. Heritage maintains offices in New York, Dallas, Beverly Hills, San Francisco, Chicago, Palm Beach, London, Paris, Geneva, Amsterdam and Hong Kong.
The Internet's most popular auction-house website, HA.com, has over one million registered bidder-members and searchable free archives of four million past auction records with prices realized, descriptions and enlargeable photos. Reproduction rights routinely granted to media for photo credit.
Eric Bradley, Public Relations Director
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
I popped open one of the beers, put my boots up on the desk, turned up the volume on my monitor and followed my watch list and while I was outbid on my proof Walkers I got a winning bid on a 67+ CAC BTW. Shoot, anniversaries don't come much better than tView More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)