Search our Archives for press releases from other collectibles:
- All Press Releases
- Art Press Releases
- Coin Press Releases
- Comics Press Releases
- Currency Press Releases
- Domain Names & Intellectual Property Press Releases
- Entertainment Press Releases
- Historical Press Releases
- Jewelry, Timepieces & Luxury Accessories
- Movie Poster Press Releases
- Real Estate Press Releases
- Sports Press Releases
- Wine Press Releases
Press Release - July 30, 2019
Multiple Records Fall as Heritage Auctions’ Summer Trading Card Event Reaches $8.3 MillionThe fabled T206 issue flexes its muscles with trio of six-figure results
That incredible collection from the founder of Collector's Universe supplied three six-figure results to the eye-popping Heritage tally, the most astonishing result of the sale being the $252,000 price for the rare Eddie Plank, graded PSA VG 3, more than doubling a competitor's sale price for an EX 5 example less than two years ago. A Red Background Ty Cobb with a Hindu back commanded $126,000 at VG-EX 4, while the only PSA-graded Walter Johnson Hands at Chest with a Broad Leaf back drew $108,000 at VG-EX+ 4.5.
"The prices recorded in this sale probably added tens of millions of dollars to the value of the T206 cards held by our clientele, so we expect to be fielding a great deal of consignment calls in the coming weeks," said Chris Ivy, Director of Sports auctions for Heritage. "We sold a PSA NM 7 Plank for $690,000 last year. What could that be worth now?"
But the record prices recorded in the three-day event were not restricted to that single issue, instead spanning multiple decades and issuing bodies. One of two PSA EX 5 examples of the 1922 Zeenut Jim Thorpe posted a $44,400 result, while a 1933 Butter Cream Babe Ruth, graded PSA EX 5, cost its new owner $192,000. Mickey Mantle's second Topps card, graded Mint 9, crushed hobby norms at $396,000.
Other highlights include:
· $75,000: 1960 Topps Willie Mays #200, PSA Gem Mint 10
· $51,600: 1933 Goudey Napoleon Lajoie #106, PSA VG-EX+ 4.5
· $180,000: 1902-11 W600 Sporting Life - Type 1 Honus Wagner (Street Clothes), PSA VG-EX 4
· $78,000: 1958 Topps Bobby Hull #66, PSA NM-MT 8
· $72,000: 2011 Bowman Sterling Mike Trout Red Refractor Rookie Autograph, BGS Gem Mint 9.5 - 10 Autograph, serial No. 1 of 1
· $51,600: 1953 Topps Jackie Robinson #1, PSA Mint 9
Heritage Auctions is the largest fine art and collectibles auction house founded in the United States, and the world's largest collectibles auctioneer. Heritage maintains offices in New York, Dallas, Beverly Hills, San Francisco, Chicago, Palm Beach, London, Paris, Geneva, Amsterdam and Hong Kong.
The Internet's most popular auction-house website, HA.com, has over one million registered bidder-members and searchable free archives of four million past auction records with prices realized, descriptions and enlargeable photos. Reproduction rights routinely granted to media for photo credit.
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
I was very pleased with the personal attention I was given.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)