Search our Archives for press releases from other collectibles:
- All Press Releases
- Art Press Releases
- Coin Press Releases
- Comics Press Releases
- Currency Press Releases
- Domain Names & Intellectual Property Press Releases
- Entertainment Press Releases
- Historical Press Releases
- Jewelry, Timepieces & Luxury Accessories
- Movie Poster Press Releases
- Real Estate Press Releases
- Sports Press Releases
- Wine Press Releases
Press Release - August 5, 2019
Record-Setting Urban Art Auction Surpasses $2.7 MillionKAWS artwork claims six of top 10 results
The July 22-23 auction boasted sell-through rates of 96.7% by value and 93.1% by lots sold, and benefitted from the visibility gained at a pre-auction viewing at ComplexCon, which drew high traffic, especially at the replica bus stop that carried what turned out to be the auction's top lot.
Several of the new records that were set, and six of the top 10 prices realized in the sale, were from artwork by KAWS, one of the art world's most sought-after contemporary artists. Other artists whose works contributed significantly to the strong final results included Yoshitomo Nara (pictured), Stik and Banksy.
Some of the records that fell in the sale included:
· KAWS Kate Moss, White Gloves, 2001: $51,250 – record for this print at auction
· Banksy No Ball Games, 2009: $50,000 – record for this print at auction
· KAWS Companion Incense Stand, 2013: $33,750 – record for this item at auction
· KAWS Presenting the Past, 2014: $32,500 – record for this item at auction
· KAWS You Should Know I Know, 2015: $32,500 – record for this print at auction
· Daniel Arsham Future Relic, Complete Excavation Set of Nine, 2013-18: $25,000 – auction record for the artist
· Alec Monopoly Piano, 2010: $20,000 – world record for Alec Monopoly at auction
· Josh Sperling Untitled, 2015: $18,750 –world record for Josh Sperling at auction
· Damien Hirst Cafe Royal, 2018: $11,250 – record for this print at auction and record for the series at auction
· Kurt B Kintsugi Honey Bear, 2019: $8,000 – the first piece of functional glass art ever sold at a major international auction house
· Matt Gondek Simpsons Nuclear Family 4ft Statue, 2018: $7,187.50 –world record for Matt Gondek at auction
· Super Future Kid You & Me and Me & You, 2018: $1,625 – world record for Super Fun kid at auction
"KAWS is one of the most popular contemporary artists out there, and his works are in extremely high demand,” said Leon Benrimon, a Director of Modern and Contemporary Art at Heritage Auctions. "His widespread popularity is underscored not just by the top lot, but also through the strong showing by his art at the top end of the auction.”
Among the top results in the sale were a pair of works by the Brooklyn-based artist: KAWS 4FT Dissected Companion (Black)drew bidsfrom 18 collectors before closing at $137,500, and KAWS Untitled (MBF), 2015 brought $118,750.
Nearly a dozen collectors made bids for Yoshitomo Nara Sleepless Night (Sitting), 2007 until it realized $81,250, more than doubling its low estimate. The 11-inch figure is deceptive, initially appearing small and even cute before giving way to an unsettling expression of restlessness.
Enjoying similar popularity among multiple bidders was Stik Migrant 4, 2017, which sold for $68,750.
Other top lots included, but were not limited to:
· KAWS Companion-Bus Stop, 2001: $375,000
· Banksy Rude Copper, 2002: $62,500
· After Jean-Michel Basquiat I (four works), 2017: $58,750
· KAWS Ankle Bracelet, 2017: $53,750
· KAWS Piranhas When You're Sleeping, 2016: $51,250
· Mr. Brainwash Retrospect, 2013: $25,000
· BE@RBRICK X Chanel Coco Chanel 1000%, 2006: $23,750
Heritage Auctions is the largest fine art and collectibles auction house founded in the United States, and the world's largest collectibles auctioneer. Heritage maintains offices in New York, Dallas, Beverly Hills, San Francisco, Chicago, Palm Beach, London, Paris, Geneva, Amsterdam and Hong Kong.
The Internet's most popular auction-house website, HA.com, has over one million registered bidder-members and searchable free archives of four million past auction records with prices realized, descriptions and enlargeable photos. Reproduction rights routinely granted to media for photo credit.
Steve Lansdale, Public Relations Specialist
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
My family and I would not have this amazing keepsake memory of my dad's collection without all the hard work, beautiful photos, tasteful layout and eloquent descriptions that you and your team did.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)