Search our Archives for press releases from other collectibles:
- All Press Releases
- Art Press Releases
- Coin Press Releases
- Comics Press Releases
- Currency Press Releases
- Domain Names & Intellectual Property Press Releases
- Entertainment Press Releases
- Historical Press Releases
- Jewelry, Timepieces & Luxury Accessories
- Movie Poster Press Releases
- Real Estate Press Releases
- Sports Press Releases
- Wine Press Releases
Press Release - April 16, 2019
The Neil Armstrong Family Collection™ Part II of Personal and Space Memorabilia Returns May 9-11Heritage Auctions' Space Exploration Auction presents one-of-a-kind rarities by moonwalkers, NASA program astronauts
Press Kit: The Neil Armstrong Family CollectionTM Part II
• The Apollo 11 Lunar Module Flown Spacesuit Comfort Glove worn by Mission Lunar Module Pilot Buzz Aldrin, flown to "Tranquility Base" on the moon's surface during the first manned lunar landing, on July 20, 1969.
• A historically important copy of the July 21, 1969 edition of The New York Times, signed by Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins, below the blaring headline "MEN WALK ON MOON"
• An Apollo 11 Flown Flight Plan Pages with Armstrong's Notations, from the Collection of Buzz Aldrin, Signed and Certified, with Signed LOA.
Personal prized mementos from The Armstrong Family CollectionTM include the auction debut of a Western Union Telegram to Neil Armstrong from President Richard Nixon sent upon his Wapakoneta (Ohio) Homecoming Celebration, and an Apollo 11 Crew-Signed "Type One" Insurance Cover canceled at Houston, Texas, on July 20, 1969, when Apollo 11 landed on the moon.
Also offered are Armstrong's handwritten notes concerning spacesuit technology from his personal notebook of NASA-related archives. The fascinating pre-launch notes chronicle the astronaut's own scientific equations on how to build the safest spacesuit possible.
"This auction event gives the world a behind-the-scenes experience of Neil Armstrong's personal thoughts on the historic lunar landing," said Greg Rohan, President of Heritage Auctions. "The advance preparation he planned before launch and a trove of memorabilia from the time immediately following his crew's safe return will impress passionate collectors of space race rarities and American history."
Additional, highly personal items from Armstrong's collection include:
• His Owned and Worn Leather Bomber-Style Leather Jacket
• Armstrong's Presentation 1955 Class Ring, 10K Gold with Diamond
• The Pen Used by the United States as Signatory to the Outer Space Treaty, which forms the basis for international space law — a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to own such an important piece of Space history.
• Armstrong's own Apollo 11 Flown Largest Size American Flag, an 18-inch by x 11-1/2-inch silk U.S. flag carried to the moon and back aboard the Apollo mission. This incredibly rare and desirable flag, the largest size typically flown on Apollo missions, traveled to the moon with Apollo 11 and was kept as a treasured souvenir by Mission Commander Neil Armstrong.
• Additional flags of interest include Armstrong's personal Apollo 11 Lunar Module Flown Explorers Club Flag, which the pioneer took with him in the Lunar Module Eagle all the way to the surface of the moon. An incredible rarity and fitting for three explorers like Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins, each of whom was awarded the Explorers Club Medal in 1971.
• Also offered are a beloved Apollo 11 Flown Flag from Neil Armstrong's Home State of Ohio and an Apollo 11 Flown U.S. Naval Academy Flag of the Brigade of Midshipmen, a true rarity featuring the academy's coat of arms and the first flown example ever offered at auction
All of the lots from The Armstrong Family CollectionTM are sold with a Statement of Provenance signed by Armstrong's sons, Rick and Mark. Collectibles Authentication Guaranty (CAG) painstakingly sealed or encapsulated each item's provenance for study by future generations.
Pre-auction bidding opens April 19 on HA.com for Heritage Auctions' May 9-11 Space Exploration Auction featuring The Armstrong Family Collection. Auction highlights will be on display at Heritage Auctions' offices in New York and Dallas. Please see the auction page for more preview details, and HA.com/Armstrong to see all of the lots. A special Platinum Night® auction — The Armstrong Family Collection Part III — will be held July 16 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the first man on the moon.
Heritage Auctions is the largest fine art and collectibles auction house founded in the United States, and the world's largest collectibles auctioneer. Heritage maintains offices in New York, Dallas, Beverly Hills, San Francisco, Chicago, Palm Beach, London, Paris, Geneva, Amsterdam and Hong Kong.
The Internet's most popular auction-house website, HA.com, has over one million registered bidder-members and searchable free archives of four million past auction records with prices realized, descriptions and enlargeable photos. Reproduction rights routinely granted to media for photo credit.
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
We hope to step up our consignments to Heritage in the future. It is tools like these that will help facilitate that.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)